25 April 2013

How to Make Fabric Rosettes


I made these fabric rosettes for my daughter's dresses about two years ago.   These dresses are too small for her now but are very dear to me.  A family friend of ours gave them to me out of the blue during a weekday mass.   She said she had bought them but found they would not fit any of her grandchildren so she thought of giving them away. Really, really sweet of her to have thought of me.  

I liked the dainty prints of the fabric and imagined that they would even look nicer with little fabric rosettes strewn near the neckline.

A friend of mine taught me this super easy way of making rosettes with fabric ribbon (a long, long time ago!) but for the rosettes on these dresses, I still scoured the web for other ways of making fabric flowers.  None of them made sense!  Hahaha!  Actually, they made sense, but they seemed complicated; none were as easy as how I know how to make them (whoever taught me how to make rosettes, thank you from the bottom of my heart!).

So this is how I make rosettes.  Quite shabby compared to the rosettes of OC tutorials I've seen online, but they turn out looking like rosettes so it's the way to go for me!  I'm hoping this tutorial saves you lots of time and that it's the easiest fabric rosette tutorial you find!  It's as easy as making crepe paper snakes ( we used to make these in school as easy classroom decor) and pulling one side of the ribbon so it gathers at the center.  Just look at the photo tutorial below and you'll understand what I mean.

For this tutorial, I used 24 inches of fabric ribbonNote that the size of your rosette will depend on the length and width of your ribbon so I encourage you to experiment with different ribbon lengths and widths to achieve the rosette size that you desire.

First, fold the 24-inch ribbon midway.
  





















Really easy, isn't it?  

You can now sew it onto a plain white top to add some color to it.


Or make your own rosette clip.

My pretty niece modelling the rosette clip! = )

 
Here are some of my rosette projects.










Halloween 2011.  Angelina Ballerina homemade costume (more on homemade costumes in an upcoming post!).  Pink rosette on skirt.  I used a wide ribbon for this (maybe a 2" wide ribbon).

January 2012.  Wedding ring pillow with rosettes for my sis and bro-in-law's wedding.  I'm glad they entrusted such a task to me for their special day!  So relieved that they were satisfied with the result.  I used varied shades of silver and varied widths of ribbon for this project.  In photos are my handsome nephews! ; )

I hope this inspires you to make your own rosette projects.  It's as easy as pie!  =)

No comments: